Water Valley, Mississippi
|Water Valley, Mississippi|
Location of Water Valley, Mississippi
|â€¢ Total||7.0 sq mi (18.2 km2)|
|â€¢ Land||7.0 sq mi (18.2 km2)|
|â€¢ Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||292 ft (89 m)|
|â€¢ Density||480/sq mi (190/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|â€¢ Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0679365|
Water Valley is located at .(34.153489, -89.631077)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.0 square miles (18 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,677 people, 1,470 households, and 961 families residing in the city. The population density was 523.2 people per square mile (201.9/kmÂ²). There were 1,675 housing units at an average density of 238.3 per square mile (92.0/kmÂ²). The racial makeup of the city was 57.87% White, 40.74% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.22% Pacific Islander, 0.19% from other races, and 0.49% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.20% of the population.
There were 1,470 households out of which 30.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.0% were married couples living together, 23.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.6% were non-families. 31.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.5% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 26.2% from 25 to 44, 21.1% from 45 to 64, and 17.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 81.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $23,777, and the median income for a family was $31,083. Males had a median income of $26,888 versus $20,127 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,324. About 23.7% of families and 26.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.5% of those under age 18 and 15.9% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Water Valley is served by the Water Valley School District.
Notable former residents
- Lloyd L. Gaines, plaintiff in groundbreaking 1940s civil rights case Missouri ex rel. Gaines v. Canada
- John William Meece, member of the Mississippi Legislature in 1911
- Fictional character Earl Pitts is said to reside in Water Valley
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Water Valley, Mississippi.|
- Water Valley Chamber of Commerce
- The North Mississippi Herald
- "Hillside Refuge: Tornado Shelters in Northeast Mississippi", Southern Spaces, 19 February 2008.
- Radiosonde Museum of North America
Water ValleyMunicipalities and communities of Yalobusha County, Mississippi, United States Cities Towns Unincorporated