Internet Browser (Nintendo 3DS)
Access Co., Ltd.
JP June 7, 2011
Nintendo 3DS XL
|Website||Official US website
Official UK website
Official JP website
The Internet Browser (Japanese: ã‚¤ãƒ³ã‚¿ãƒ¼ãƒãƒƒãƒˆãƒ–ãƒ©ã‚¦ã‚¶ãƒ¼ Hepburn: IntÄnetto BurauzÄ?) is an Internet browser designed for the Nintendo 3DS system. It was released via firmware update on June 6, 2011 in North America and June 7, 2011 in Europe, Australia, and Japan. Access to Internet site content can now be filtered as of system update 5.0.0-11.
The user can choose between the Google search engine and Yahoo search engine. There is a text wrap option to automatically wrap text to the width of the screen at different zoom levels. Users can also create bookmarks. Up to 32 pages can be stored in the browser's history before older items start being replaced.
Compatibility specifications are fully documented on Nintendo's website, as well as in the browser's manual.
Supported web standards
- HTML 4.01 / HTML 5 (partial)
- XHTML 1.1
- CSS 1 / CSS 2.1 / CSS 3 (partial)
- DOM Levels 1-3
- ECMAScript (partial support for ECMA-262 5th Edition)
- XMLHttpRequest Level 2
- Canvas Element (partial)
- HTTP 1.0 / HTTP 1.1
- TLS 1.0
Supported image formats
Plug-ins (such as Adobe Flash Player) are not supported.
Web standards compatibility
CSS3 games and animation
According to CSS3test.com, the browser scores a 68% on its CSS3 compatibility test. CSS3 Animations, like Neography's "Our Solar System" Experiment, can be displayed on the Nintendo 3DS's Internet Browser, despite it being not listed as a compatible website.
The 3DS Internet Browser was first introduced in system update 2.0.0-2 (June 2011) and has been progressively updated up to the latest system update (5.0.0-11), which allowed for proxy editing and has a slight redesign on the web browser. The browser now has a loading bar at the top, similar to that of the Internet Channel and a loading square on the top bar where the time is normally displayed.
- Yin, Wesley (2011-05-12). "Nintendo 3DS e-Shop and browser delayed News â€¢ News â€¢ 3DS â€¢". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "What is Nintendo 3DS? Concerns for Parents". Internet Safety Project. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Internet Browser | Nintendo 3DS". Nintendo. 2013-07-14. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "ã‚¤ãƒ³ã‚¿ãƒ¼ãƒãƒƒãƒˆãƒ–ãƒ©ã‚¦ã‚¶ãƒ¼ã®ä¸»ãªä»•æ§˜" (in Japanese). Nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Nintendo 3DS - Internet Browser Specifications at Nintendo". Nintendo.com. Retrieved 2013-07-20.