Bundesamt fÃ¼r Strahlenschutz
|Federal Office for Radiation Protection|
|Bundesamt fÃ¼r Strahlenschutz
â€“ BfS â€“
|Headquarters||Willy-Brandt-StraÃŸe 5 D-38226 Salzgitter|
|Annual budget||about 305 Mio. Euro (2009)|
|Agency executive||Wolfram KÃ¶nig|
|Parent agency||Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety|
The Bundesamt fÃ¼r Strahlenschutz (BfS) is the German Federal Office for Radiation Protection. The BfS was established in November 1989; the headquarters is located in Salzgitter, with branch offices in Berlin, Bonn, Freiburg, Gorleben, OberschleiÃŸheim and Rendsburg. It has 708 employees (including 305 scientific) and an annual budget of around 305 million Euro (2009). Since 2009 the BfS is also responsible for the storage site of radioactive waste, Schacht Asse II.
The BfS is supervised by the Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). The BfS has four sub-departments.
- Fachbereich SK - Sicherheit in der Kerntechnik Fachbereich SK - Safety in Nuclear Engineering
- Fachbereich SE - Sicherheit nuklearer Entsorgung SE Division - the safety of nuclear waste disposal
- Fachbereich SG - Strahlenschutz und Gesundheit SG Department - Radiation and Health
- Fachbereich SW - Strahlenschutz und Umwelt SW Department - Radiation and Environmental
Gamma dose rate network
The BfS operates a gamma dose rate measurement network with about 1800 probes, uniformly distributed over Germany. The automatically working systems compare the actual level of radiation with the long term mean and sends an alert to the data centers immediately, if the radiation exceeds the threshold value. This network is a part of the German early warning system, in case of a nuclear accident. Hardware of data logger and probes as well as software are developed in-house by the BfS. On the mountain Schauinsland the BfS operates an international measurement station for gamma dose rate probe calibration and long term tests.
- Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty
- Schacht Asse II
- Schacht Konrad
- Repository for radioactive waste Morsleben
- Nuclear safety
- ODL-Info Data from the German gamma dose rate network with about 1800 probes (in English)
- BfS - Gamma dose rate network data logger (full working demo installation)